Reports have emerged that Chelsea manager Antonio Conte may quit the club at the end of the season in favour of a move back to Italy.
In an interview with an Italian radio station last week, he said “I miss Italy, that’s beyond doubt. So one I have had some important and life-changing experiences, I will be back”.
Now Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport claim that Conte is the number one target for AC Milan’s owners who are looking to replace under fire Vincenzo Montella – although Carlo Ancelotti is also tipped for the job.
Conte won three Serie A titles with Juventus before going on to manage the national team and then Chelsea. Despite winning the Premier League title in his first season, Conte is said to enjoy an uneasy relationship with the hierarchy at Stamford Bridge, and was unhappy with the club’s transfer activity in the summer. On the pitch, the team are struggling to replicate last season’s title winning form, with Saturday’s defeat to Manchester City their second home defeat of this campaign so far.